Information from SOCO Emergency Website as of March 30, 2020

posted almost 2 years ago by lizaloop from LO*OP Center, Inc. Labels: resources insurance unemployment business food financial_assistance taxes mortgage rent eviction bills
This update is over 30 days old.


Paying Bills

Utilities: Salvation Army, 93 Stony Circle, Santa Rosa, (707) 542-0981. Help to pay water, electric and other utility bills. Afternoons, Monday-Friday, by appointment only.

Evictions: On March 24, 2020, the Board of Supervisors took action to approve the COVID-19 Eviction Defense Ordinance, effective immediately and for the duration of the declared Local Emergency in Sonoma County.

Read more about the Eviction Defense Ordinance

For tenant support and questions about how the eviction ordinance passed by the Board of Supervisors may apply to you, contact Legal Aid Sonoma County at (707) 542-1290 or California Rural Legal Assistance at (707) 528-9941.

The State order asks banks to halt foreclosures and related evictions through May 31.


Season of Sharing (SOS), Community Action Partnership of Sonoma County, phone: 2-1-1, Disaster assistance with housing costs and critical family needs applications accepted through June 30. Supports low-to-moderate income families with dependent children, age 55 and older, disabled individuals, veterans, pregnant women in their 2nd or 3rd trimester, survivors of domestic violence and transitioning emancipated foster youth between 18 and 24. During the pandemic, support is also available for those who have lost income due to the coronavirus.

Community Action Partnership of Sonoma County, Visit the website for information on low-income rent and deposit assistance programs.

Mortgage: While federal financial agencies have suggested hardship forbearance for distressed borrowers, you should contact your lender if you have a financial hardship. Do not wait to miss a payment. The State order asks banks to halt foreclosures and related evictions through May 31, 2020.

Student loans: Borrowers who need immediate relief may apply for a forbearance, which suspends payments for a period of time.


Income taxes: The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) said individuals may defer up to $1 million of federal income tax payments for tax year 2019 (including self-employment tax) due on April 15, 2020 until July 15, 2020, without penalties or interest. The guidance does not change the April 15 filing deadline, but taxpayers can always file for a six-month filing extension.The California Franchise Tax Board earlier extended the April 15 deadline for making state income tax payments and estimated payments until June 15.

Property taxes due April 10: The California Board of Equalization is working with the State to see if it could allow counties to provide some penalty relief if property tax payments are not paid by April 10. Each county would have to extend the deadline for its property owners.

Community Action Partnership,

United Way of the Wine Country,

Agencies will contact those with a pending tax preparation adjustment to correct and submit.

Other free tax filing options:

Financial Assistance Programs

Redwood Credit Union, (800) 479-7928, option 2, Disaster-related loan program for current Redwood Credit Union members.


See SoCoEmergency Food Resources list


Sonoma County Economic Development Board, Resources and guidance for employees of affected businesses.

Unemployment benefits: If your employer has reduced your hours or shut down operations due to coronavirus, you can file an unemployment claim by phone or mail with the State of California. The State executive order waived the normal, one-week waiting period to file for people who are unemployed and/or disabled because of coronavirus.

Instructions on how to apply:

To file a claim: For more information about Unemployment Insurance and COVID-19, visit these links. Sick leave: For information contact your employer and visit

State disability or family leave: Disability insurance and paid family leave are part of the same program, called state disability insurance. If a medical professional has certified that you can’t work because you have, or have been exposed to, COVID-19, you can file a claim for state disability insurance. If you can’t work because you are caring for an eligible relative who is sick or quarantined by COVID-19, you can file for paid family leave. For more on state disability, paid family leave and unemployment, see


No comments yet.

Post a new comment

News by topic

Other recent news